Here is an update containing all the important current affairs for 14th December 2016. You can download the Important Current Affairs 14th December 2016 with pdf capsule too.
Anand draws with Michael Adams
- 5-time world champion Viswanathan Anand had to settle for a draw with British number one Michael Adams in the 4th round of the London Chess Classic in London.
- The second draw in four games has kept the Indian ace in contention.
- American Hikaru Nakamura continued to be in top gear after a first round debacle and grinded down Veselin Topalov of Bulgaria in the only decisive game of the day.
Projects began under Swadesh Darshan
- Dr. Mahesh Sharma, Minister of State for Tourism & Culture laid the foundation stone of 6 development projects under Spiritual Circuit of Swadesh Darshan Scheme of Ministry of Tourism in Baghpat, UP.
- Projects include: Trilokteerth Dham & Maa Manasa Devi Mandir in Badagaon; Pura Mahadev Mandir & Parashuram Bhagwan Mandir in Pura; Laakshagrah & Shri Chandraprabhu Digambar Jain Mandir in Barnawa
7th Indo-Maldives military exercise
- 7th edition of Exercise EKUVERIN will be held from 15 to 28 Dec 2016 at Kadhdhoo, Laamu Atoll, Maldives.
- The Exercise is a 14 day platoon level joint military exercise between the Indian Army & the Maldives National Defence Force conducted on a yearly basis.
- The aim of the exercise is to conduct military training with emphasis on amphibious & counter insurgency/ counter terrorism operations.
Demands for anti dumping duty on steel
- Director General Anti Dumping has recommended anti dumping duty in the form of a reference price on import of colour coated steel exported from China and EU region into India.
- The reference price is at $849/tonne which translates to a landed price of about Rs 58000/tonne at the port.
- The recommendation has been forwarded to ministry of finance for issuing corresponding custom notification.
Gujarat tops in LED bulb distribution
- Gujarat tops the list followed by Maharashtra in LED bulb distribution.
- Gujarat has distributed 2.70 crore LED bulbs till December 12 this year from the date of its launch, earlier this year.
- On the other hand, Maharashtra came second with distribution of 2,00,99,730 LED bulbs so far.
India world’s 4-largest defence spender
- India has broken into the world top-five defence spenders’ club.
- Asia’s 3rd-largest economy spent $50.6 billion in 2016, up from $46.6 billion last year.
- India now has the 4th-largest defence budget, followed by Saudi Arabia and Russia, according to the 2016 Jane’s Defence Budgets Report, released by research firm IHS Markit.
- Russia which was 4th last year slipped to the 6th spot.
Retail inflation at record low in Nov
- The Consumer Price Index (CPI)-based inflation fell to 3.63 per cent in November a record low in the new series from 4.2 per cent in October.
- The main reason for contraction in demand was demonetisation, said analysts.
- This comes after 8 November when Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the old series of ~500 and ~1,000 notes to be illegal tender.
India: first to discount online payments
- India become the first nation to subsidise the use of digital cash.
- The government unveiled a raft of measures including discounts on online payments for insurance policies, rail tickets & highway toll charges.
- Arun Jaitley announced 10% off on insurance policies, highway usage and concessions on train travel
- The government has also waived service tax on online transactions below 2,000 rs.
Courtys largest indoor sports arena
- Kolkata will soon have one of the largest indoor sports arenas of the country with a capacity to accommodate upto 15,400 people.
- With this capacity, the arena, which is proposed to come up in the New Town area, will be larger than Indira Gandhi Arena or Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium in New Delhi.
- Till now Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium has the largest capacity to accommodate 14,348 spectators.
Cairo bombing: IS claims responsibility
- The Islamic State group claimed responsibility on Tuesday for a bomb attack on a Cairo church that killed 25 people.
- IS identified the suicide bomber who carried out Sunday’s attack by the pseudonym Abu Abdallah al-Masri in a statement circulated on social media on Tuesday.
- The group said it would continue attacks against “every infidel and apostate in Egypt, and everywhere”.
Kochi-Muziris Biennale 2016
- The celebration of contemporary art in South Asia, the 108-day-long, third edition of Kochi-Muziris Biennale commenced at Kochi at 12 dec.
- “Forming in the pupil of an eye”, KMB 2016 will features performances and productions of 97 artists from 31 countries.
- The theme was chosen because the eye is the only reflective organ in the body and it reflects as much back into the world as it takes.
Boxing:Shiva Thapa wins 52 kg gold
- World bronze-medallist Shiva Thapa prevailed in a slightly ill-tempered final clash to pick up his first lightweight (60kg) National Championships gold medal.
- The overall title went to the Services Sports Control Board (SSCB), who ended with four gold, one silver and three bronze medals.
- The Railways Sports Promotion Board finished second with two gold, two silver and two bronze medals.
Pankaj Advani won Billiards Championship
- Pankaj Advani won his 11th World Billiards (150-Up format) Championships title by beating Peter Gilchrist in the summit clash in Bengaluru.
- Advani beat Gilchrist by 6 games to 3 in a gripping final contest to wrap up his 16th world title overall.
- Earlier, Advani had beaten Htay 5-0 in the morning to storm into the finals while Gilchrist defeated India’s Dhvaj Haria 5-1 in another semi-final.
de Villiers steps down as Test captain
- Star batsman A.B. de Villiers confirmed that he has stepped down as captain of the South Africa Test team with immediate effect as he recovers from an elbow injury.
- de Villiers, 32, was appointed in January following Hashim Amla’s resignation, and led the team in two Test matches against England.
- South Africa lost one Test and won one under de Villiers.
Satyam Bansal exits Flipkart
- Satyam Bansal, Chief of Staff for Executive Chairman & co-founder of Flipkart exits Flipkart after a 3 year stint to join Hotstar.
- His exit comes in the wake of strong speculation that Flipkart’s investors are actively looking to bring in professional management to run India’s largest e-commerce firm.
- Satyam joined Flipkart as Associate Director of strategic product partnerships in 2013.
6 automotive testing centres in country
- India is creating 6 automotive testing, validation and research & development centres in the country.
- National Automotive Testing and R&D Infrastructure Project is a joint initiative between Centre, state governments and Indian automotive industry.
- It aims at creating core global competencies in the automotive sector & facilitating seamless integration of the auto sector with the world.
Spain to shorten 11-hour working day
- Spain’s 11-hour stretch working day could be abandoned as the government seeks to bring the country into line with the rest of Europe.
- The employment minister announced a push to let Spaniards knock off at 6pm, rather than the current 8pm.
- The government is also willing to consider improving work-life balance, reversing the Franco-era decision that put Spain in the wrong time zone.
Cuba, EU, Sign Cooperation Pact
- Cuba and the EU signed a historic accord designed to strengthen ties.
- The accord will form the legal platform for future ties between Brussels and Havana.
- It also aims at supporting economic development, promoting democracy and human rights on the island.
- The new pact must now be ratified by national and regional parliaments in all EU member states before it can enter completely into force.
Punjab launched first amphibious bus
- Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal launched the first amphibious bus.
- He announced that an amphibious bus ride will be also launched in Bathinda.
- Booking can be done from tourism department offices at Harike Pattan & Amritsar or online.
- The double-decker bus will take tourists to 16 spots throughout the city and with a single ticket they can use the service for the entire day.
Akbar Ebrahim is new FMSCI president
- Veteran Akbar Ebrahim has been elected as the FMSCI president, replacing Zayn Khan to lead the Indian motorsport governing body.
- Ebrahim was elected president at the FMSCI Annual General Meeting, which was held in Chennai.
- Ebrahim replaces Khan, who took charge in September last year following the sudden death of incumbent R Bharath Raj.