Here is an update containing all the important current affairs for 15th December 2016. You can download the Important Current Affairs 15th December 2016 with pdf capsule too.
Rio Gets UNESCO World Heritage Status
- Brazil’s Rio de Janeiro, nicknamed the Marvelous City, officially entered the UN’s list of world heritage sites in recognition of its soaring granite cliffs, urban rainforest & beaches.
- Rio got a big tourism boost during the 2014 football World Cup & this August’s Olympic Game.
- However, persistent high crime, last year’s Zika epidemic & political instability have hurt the city’s image.
Brazil Approves 20-yr Spending Freeze
- Brazil’s Senate approved a 20-year govt spending freeze billed as the centerpiece of austerity reforms aimed at restoring economic health of the country.
- The upper house voted 53 to 16 to lock in the spending ceiling.
- President Michel Temer said tough measures are needed to get Brazil’s finances back under control.
- The vote means that the spending cap is now mandated by the constitution.
Jayaben Desai on BBC’s Power Women List
- Jayaben Desai, Gujarat-born activist was named among seven women chosen to mark the 70th anniversary of BBC Radio 4’s ‘Woman’s Hour’.
- She led a campaign against low pay for women workers at a UK factory in the 1970s.
- The list is topped by Margaret Thatcher – Britain’s first female PM.
- It also includes Barbara Castle,Labour MP for Blackburn who brought in the Equal Pay Act in 1970.
Guterres Sworn in as New UN Chief
- Antonio Guterres was sworn in as the ninth secretary-general of the United Nations.
- He was former Portuguese PM, takes over from Ban as the ninth United Nations chief on January 1.
- Ban’s second five-year term ends on December 31.
- Guterres laid out three priorities for change during his five-year term: work for peace, supporting sustainable development and improving internal management.
The World’s Most Powerful People 2016
- Modi has been ranked among the top 10 most powerful people in the world by Forbes.
- He ranks 9th on the list of 74 topped by Russian President Putin.
- Second on the list is US President-elect Donald Trump.
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel was third,followed by Chinese President Xi Jinping.
- Forbes said, there are nearly 7.4 billion people on Earth, but these 74 men & women make the world turn.
India-Indonesia Sign 3 Key Agreements
- India & Indonesia have signed three agreements in fields of sports, stopping illegal fishing and standardization.
- The agreements were signed during the visit of Indonesia President Joko Widodo to India.
- Both the countries have agreed to cooperate in maritime security.
- The visit of Indonesian President is the first since former President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono’s trip to India in 2011.
Cabinet Approves Port Authorities Bill
- The govt has passed approved the Major Port Authorities Bill, 2016 replacing the Major Port Trusts Act,1963.
- One of the salient features of the bill is the number of sections has been reduced to 65 from 134 by eliminating overlapping and obsolete ones.
- The bill is implemented to promote trade & commerce& decentralise decision making.
India Tops Asia in Innovation Chart
- India has emerged as the most preferred destination for innovation in Asia and third biggest globally.
- India has been ranked as the No. 1 innovation destination in Asia and No. 2 in the world for new innovation centres.
- Bengaluru leads the Indian challenge on innovation and is ranked 5th hub at global level.
- Nine new innovation centres were opened in the country during the period.
Sushma Named Among 15 Global Thinkers
- Sushma Swaraj & philanthropist couple Anupama & Vineet Nayar are among the Indians who have been named in the Global Thinkers of 2016 List .
- The list was compiled by the Foreign Policy magazine
- The magazine complimented Swaraj for fashioning a novel brand of Twitter diplomacy.
- Swaraj was named in the Decision-makers category along with Hillary Clinton,Ban Ki-Moon,Angela Merkel among others.
Priyanka Appointed As UNICEF Ambassador
- Actress Priyanka Chopra has been appointed as UNICEF’s newest global Goodwill Ambassador.
- Ms. Chopra has served as a UNICEF national ambassador in India.
- The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) is a United Nations (UN) programme headquartered in New York.
- UNICEF was established to bring help and hope to children whose lives and futures were at risk.
Indo-Russian Naval Exercise Begins
- India & Russia started the 9th edition of Indra Navy-16,a bilateral exercise between the navies of the two allies.
- The primary aim of the exercise is to increase interoperability among the two navies.
- Indra Navy epitomises the strong long-term strategic relationship between the two countries.
- The exercise is taking place in two phases – the Harbour at Visakhapatnam & the Sea off the coast.
Sochi Stripped of Bobsleigh Championship
- The Russian city of Sochi will not host the 2017 bobsleigh & skeleton World Championships.
- The International Bobsleigh & Skeleton Federation (IBSF) said it would not be prudent to hold the championships in Russia.
- A report claimed more than 1,000 Russians benefited from a doping cover-up between 2011 & 2015.
- A new host city will be named for the February event in the forthcoming days.
Murray & Kerber Named ITF Champions
- Britain’s Andy Murray & Germany’s Angelique Kerber were named 2016 ITF World Champions.
- He won nine titles in a milestone year that ended with him beating rival Djokovic.
- Kerber enjoyed an equally impressive season,winning the Australian & U.S. Open titles as well as silver medal in Rio.
- She becomes the first German to win the award since Steffi Graf claimed the last of her seven in 1996.
India Sign Grant Agreement with the IBRD
- India has signed a Grant Agreement of USD 5.19 million with International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD).
- The agreement was signed for additional Financing for Financing Energy Efficiency at MSMEs Project- Programmatic Framework for Energy Efficiency.
- The agreement signed was a part of the parent project – India: Financing Energy Efficiency at MSME Project (FEEMP).
India Approves MoU with Kyrgyzstan
- The govt has approved a MoU between India & Kyrgyzstan on cooperation in field of agriculture and food related industry.
- The proposed agreement covers various activities in the field of agriculture and allied sector
- The proposed agreement will come into force on the date of its signing and would be for a period of 5 years & provides for setting up of a Joint Working Group from both countries
Canara Bank Raises Rs 1,000 cr
- Canara Bank has raised Rs 1,000 crore by issuing Basel-III complaint tier-I bonds.
- In October, the board of Canara Bank had permitted it to raise additional tier-I capital funds for an amount not exceeding Rs 2,500 crore.
- The capital is being raised to maintain healthy CRAR during the current financial year.
- Indian banks are expected to fully comply with Basel-III standards by March 2019.
Nooyi on Trump’s Advisory Council
- Indra Nooyi, the India-born CEO of PepsiCo & Travis Kalanick, co-founder of taxi-hailing service Uber, have joined the President-elect’s Trump business advisory council.
- Trump’s business council is headed by Stephen Schwarzman, co-founder of global investment firm Blackstone.
- Trump’s business council is packed with top honchos of America’s biggest private companies.
US Raises Key Interest Rate by 0.25%
- The US Federal Reserve has raised its benchmark interest rate by 0.25%.
- It was just the second time in a decade that the Fed has raised rates.
- The central bank voted unanimously to raise the key rate to a range of 0.5% to 0.75%, citing a stronger economic growth &rising employment.
- Fed chairwoman Janet Yellen said the economic outlook was highly uncertain & the rise was only a modest shift.
Govt Appoints V K Sharma as LIC chief
- Government has appointed V K Sharma as the Chairman of state-owned behemoth Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) for five years.
- He was already acting as chairman since September 16 when the then chairman S K Roy was relieved of his duties.
- He has been serving as LIC’s MD since November 2013.
- Roy had resigned in June, nearly two years ahead of his retirement.
VG Kannan Appointed CEO of IBA
- V G Kannan took charge as Chief Executive of the Indian Banks’ Association (IBA).
- He succeeds M V Tanksale who demitted office as Chief Executive after being at the helm for three years.
- He had retired as Managing Director & Group Executive (Associates & Subsidiaries) of State Bank of India.
- IBA is a self-regulatory organisation of banks.
- The 70-year old body has 237 members.