Current Affairs Daily Updates 24 August 2016[the_ad id=”1859″]
China’s Unmanned Submersible Sets Record
- China’s unmanned submersible has dived to a depth of 10,767 metres at the world’s deepest ocean point.
- The submersible named Haidou-1 set the record at the Mariana Trench in the West Pacific.
- It will helps to enable it to explore ocean beds for minerals.
- This makes China the 3rd country after Japan and the US to have built submersibles capable of reaching depths in excess of 10,000 metres.
34kg Pearl Found in Philippines
- Philippine officials believe they may have recovered the biggest natural giant clam pearl in the world – weighing a whopping 34kg
- The pearl was found 10 years ago by a fisherman who was unaware of its value.
- The priceless pearl measures a staggering 1ft foot wide and 2.2 feet long.
- The current record holder is Pearl of Allah was also found off Palawan in the Philippines in 1934.
U.S. Postal to Issue Diwali Stamp
- The U.S. Postal Service said it will issue a Diwali postage stamp.
- The Diwali stamp is being issued as a “Forever” stamp.
- The stamp design, unveiled by the U.S. Postal Service (USPS), is a photograph featuring a traditional diya oil lamp lit in a sparkling gold background.
- Hinduism was the only major world religion, for which the USPS had not issued a postage stamp.
North Korea Test Fires Ballistic Missile
- North Korea has test fired a new ballistic missile.
- It was launched from a submarine in the Sea of Japan, off North Korea’s eastern coast.
- The test comes one day after the United States and South Korea launched joint military exercises on the peninsula.
- Pyongyang had warned against the drills, threatening to launch a preemptive nuclear strike.
Air Force to Build New Aerospace Museum
- The Indian Air Force is set to build new Aerospace Museum in New Delhi.
- The museum will focus on the nation’s rich aviation history.
- A proposal for new Air Force Aerospace Museum was cleared by Ministry of Defence and final financial sanction on the Detailed Project Report is awaited.
- After the approval, the new museum would be ready for the tourists within 3-5 years.
IITs to Increase Intake to 1lakh by 2020
- IITs have decided to increase the number of seats in various courses for admitting “non-resident students” with an aim to take their total intake to one lakh by 2020.
- IIT Council headed by HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar has given in-principle approval to the proposal for admitting non-resident students.
- The plan is to increase the number by 10,000 per year so that the number touches 1L by 2020.
Odisha Cabinet Approves Startup Policy
- Odisha Cabinet has approved the Odisha Startup Policy 2016 .
- The aim is to promote entrepreneurship for start-up ventures with provision of govt incentives.
- The policy will chart out a roadmap to place Odisha among the top three investment destinations in the country by 2020.
- It will constitute a 25cr rupees Startup Capital Infrastructure Fund to provide monthly assistance to young entrepreneurs.
Padukone Enter Top 10 Highest-Paid List
- According to the Forbes magazine list of world’s highest-paid female actors, Deepika Padukone is the only Indian actor in the top 10 highest-paid Hollywood female actors’ list.
- She is ranked 10th with total earnings of USD 10 million.
- Jennifer Lawrence is the world`s highest-paid actress in 2016 with earnings of over USD 46 million.
- She is followed by Melissa McCarthy.
Azadi 70 Saal-Yaad Karo Qurbani Conclude
- Celebrations of 70 years of Independence-70 saal Azadi- Yaad Karo Kurbani came to a close.
- The programme was aimed at re-instilling the spirit of freedom struggle.
- It was launched by PM Modi at the birthplace of freedom fighter Chandra Shekhar Azad at Alirajpur in Madhya Pradesh.
- Union Ministers visited more than 150 places all over the country associated with freedom movement during the period.
Prez Launches Akashvani Moitree Channel
- The All India Radio has launched the Maitree Channel.
- President Pranab Mukherjee launched the radio service in Kolkata.
- The AIR channel also known as Akashvani Maitree will showcase Bangla culture and heritage.
- The first-of-its-kind service can be heard both in India and Bangladesh.
- The service will provide a platform for content creation and sharing of cultural heritage between the two countries.
Crutchlow Wins Czech MotoGP
- Britain`s Cal Crutchlow on a Honda took his maiden MotoGP win at Brno in the Czech Republic.
- He became Britain’s first MotoGP winner in 35 years.
- Barry Sheene in 1981 was the last British rider to win an elite-class GP.
- Seven-time champion Valentino Rossi took second with championship leader Marc Marquez of Spain in third.
- The result leaves Marquez at the top of the overall standings.
India Men’s Hockey Team Slips to Sixth
- The Indian men’s hockey team slipped one place to sixth in the FIH rankings.
- The Indian men’s side crashed out of the Olympics in the quarterfinals.
- Australia, which finished sixth at Rio, remained on top while newly crowned Olympic champion Argentina moved up five places to second.
- Indian women hockey team gained one position to be at 12th in the latest rankings released.
Russia’s Paralympics Ban Confirmed
- Russia will not compete at next month’s Paralympics in Rio after losing an appeal against a ban imposed .
- The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) upheld the International Paralympic Committee’s (IPC) ban on all Russian competitors.
- The IPC made the decision in light of the McLaren report, which detailed a state-sponsored doping programme operated by Russia.
- The Paralympics begin on 7 Sept.
Kabaddi World Cup to be Held in Gujarat
- The International Kabaddi Federation (IKF) has announced that the 2016 World Cup will be held in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
- The tournament is set to take place from October 7 to October 22.
- Gujarat will play host to 12 teams from around the world.
- It include including India, USA, Canada, UK, Australia, Iran, Poland, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Korea, Japan and Kenya.
India has 7.4 crore Taxpayers:CBDT Chief
- India’s income taxpayer base has touched 7.4 crore .
- This was said by CBDT Chairperson Rani Singh Nair at the 13th International Tax Conference organised by Assocham.
- PM Modi had in June this year urged the income tax department to aspire for a taxpayer base of 10 crore.
- Nair counted both income-tax return filers and those covered under tax deduction at source (TDS) to put the figure at 7.4 CR.
Ujjivan Financial Ties up with CRMNEXT
- Ujjivan Financial Services has become the first organisation in its category to adopt CRMNEXT’s integrated Assisted Bank-in-a-Box Edition.
- It is designed to empower small finance bank (SFBs) to achieve faster growth.
- CRMNEXT’s is designed to provide out-of-box solutions for all customer management need
- Ujjivan has recently received an approval from the RBI to set up a Small Finance bank.
India’s Growth To Tick Up To 7.8%
- Ind-Ra, India Ratings & Research has revised upwards India’s economic growth forecast to 7.8% for the ongoing fiscal.
- It has revised its gross domestic product estimate for 2016-17 upwards to 7.8% from its earlier forecast of 7.7%.
- The upward revision has been prompted by the progress of monsoon.
- It said the positive impact of monsoon on agriculture will support the overall GDP growth.
Microsoft Buys AI Startup Genee
- Microsoft has acquired artificial intelligence (AI)-based scheduling service Genee.
- The start-up, which was founded in 2014, will shut down its service on September 1.
- Genee specializes in using machine smarts to handle the time-sucking task of scheduling meetings.
- Genee’s expertise could be used across Microsoft’s Office 365 suite of products.
Gujarat Assembly Ratifies GST Bill
- The Gujarat Legislative Assembly ratified the Constitution Amendment Bill on Goods and Service Tax (GST).
- The Bill has been ratified unopposed by Gujarat Assembly.
- The bill needs to be ratified by at least 15 state legislatures before the President can notify the GST Council.
- The government has set April 1, 2017 as target for rolling out GST.
India on 10 Wealthiest Country List
- India has figured among the top 10 wealthiest countries in the world .
- According to a report by New World Wealth, India was ranked 7th ahead of Canada , Australia & Italy which came in at 8th,9th & 10th.
- India has a total individual wealth of $5,600 billion while the United States topped the chart.
- The US total individual wealth held is $48,900 billion.
- China stood second and Japan third.