Current Affairs Daily Updates 27 August 2016[the_ad id=”1859″]
Tunisian Gives Vote of Confidence
- Tunisia parliament has passed a confidence vote in the Government of National Unity.
- The government of PM Youssef Chahed was supported by 167 of the 217 members of parliament.
- Chahed was appointed to the post of Prime Minister by Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi.
- The move came after the majority of lawmakers in the Tunisian parliament passed a vote of no confidence in premier Habib Essid.
Japan Scientist Detect Rare Earth Tremor
- Scientists in Japan studying earthquakes have detected a rare deep-Earth tremor, known as an S wave microseism, for the first time.
- The findings, published in the US journal Science, could help experts to improve detection of earthquakes and oceanic storms.
- Microseisms are very faint tremors.
- S waves refer to secondary waves, which are slow and move only through rock, not liquid.
Italy Declares State of Emergency
- Italy has declared a state of emergency in the regions worst hit by earthquake.
- The Italian Council of Ministers approved a state of emergency for the regions affected by the earthquake.
- Prime Minister Matteo Renzi has pledged €50m (£42m) in funds for rebuilding.
- At least 268 people are now known to have died and 400 were injured.
- Teams have continued to search the rubble of toppled buildings.
India ranks 77th on World Risk Index
- India has been ranked 77th on the World Risk Index, topped by Island state of Vanuatu.
- The World Risk Report 2016 published by the UNU Institute for Environment & Human Security.
- The Index ranks 171 countries according to their risk of becoming a victim of a disaster as a result of natural hazards.
- Pakistan ranks 72th while Sri Lanka and Bangladesh at 63rd and 5th position respectively.
Forbes List Of Most Innovative Comp
- Forbes has released a list of 100 ‘The World’s Most Innovative Companies’.
- These 100 companies ranked on the list are based on their creative disruption, potential for innovation and investor interest.
- Tesla Motors tops Forbes’ sixth annual list of The World’s Most Innovative Companies.
- Asian Paints at number 18 is the highest-ranked Indian company on Forbes’s list.
Maharashtra to Tie up with Corporates
- The Maharashtra govt has announced a public-private partnership model for their initiative ’mission transform’ of 1,000 most backward villages across the state.
- The corporate sector & non government organisations (NGOs)& the state govt will come together under a trust.
- It will have its own corpus and be listed under the Companies Act.
- The state government will provide 50 per cent of the funds.
Bengaluru to Host Pravasi Divas
- The 14th edition of Pravasi Bharatiya Divas will be held in Bengaluru.
- It will be organized between Jan 7 to 9, 2017 & around 3,000 people are likely to participate in the event.
- There would also be a Youth Pravasi Bharatiya Divas on January 7.
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is celebrated in India each year to mark the contribution of the overseas Indian community to the development of India.
Mamata Unveils Mother Teresa’s Statue
- A life size bronze statue of Mother Teresa was unveiled on her 106th birth anniversary by West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee at Archbishop’s House in Park Street.
- The inauguration of the statue comes ahead of her Canonisation on September 4th.
- The statue has been donated by industrialist & philanthropist, Mr Namit Bajoria who is the Designate Honorary Consul of Republic of Macedonia in Kolkata.
POSCO e-box Launched to Protect Children
- Union Minister Maneka Gandhi has launched an online complaint box for reporting child sexual abuse.
- The Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) e-Box is an online complaint management system for reporting sexual offences against children.
- The facility is available on the NCPCR website.
- Any child or adult who wants to complain about a child who is being molested can avail of this.
Sri Lanka’s Tillakaratne Dilshan Retires
- Sri Lanka’s Tillakaratne Dilshan will quit international cricket after the ongoing limited overs series against Australia.
- Dilshan will retire from the One-Day Internationals after the third match in Dambulla.
- He made his one day debut against Zimbabwe in 1999 and has, so far, played 329 ODIs.
- He has amassed 10,248 runs that include 22 hundreds.
Saina Nehwal Drops 4 Places to be 9th
- Ace Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal has dropped four places in the latest world rankings to be at the number nine spot.
- PV Sindhu remained world number 10.
- Sindhu won India’s only silver medal in Rio after beating three higher-ranked players.
- In the Men’s rankings, Kidambi Srikanth, who lost to Lin Dan in the quarterfinals at Rio, gained a place to break into the top 10.
Ronaldo Crowned UEFA Best Player
- Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo has won the UEFA Best Player in Europe Award.
- Ronaldo received the accolade for the second time in his career after finishing ahead of Real team-mate Gareth Bale and Atletico Madrid’s Antoine Griezmann.
- The award was voted for by journalists from each of UEFA’s 55 member associations.
- Norway striker Ada Hegerberg won the women’s award.
HDFC to Issue NCDs Worth Rs. 500 CR
- HDFC Ltd will issue bonds worth Rs. 500 crore to meet its long-term capital requirements.
- HDFC will issue secured redeemable non-convertible debentures on a private placement basis.
- The object of the issue is to augment the long-term resources of the corporation.
- The proceeds of the present issue would be utilised for financing the housing finance business requirements of the corporation.
Karnataka Bank Launches UPI App
- Karnataka Bank has launched ‘KBL-SMARTz’, a mobile app.
- It was built on the unified payments interface (UPI) platform of the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
- Fund transfer can be done through this app without revealing personal details.
- Customers across UPI member banks to pay & collect money from their smartphones without entering any bank account information.
SBI, ICICI Bank are Too Big to Fail: RBI
- State Bank of India (SBI) & largest private sector lender ICICI Bank continue to be domestic systemically important banks.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) classification means their collapse could have a cascading impact on the entire financial system and the economy.
- This is a repeat of a similar classification for both these lenders, made by the central bank in August last year.
Huawei Sets Up Project Support Centre
- Chinese telecom gear maker Huawei has launched its largest global service centre (GSC) in India.
- It was set up with an initial investment of Rs 136 crore.
- The facility will handle the highest number of projects compared to its other three GSCs in China, Romania and Mexico.
- Huawei has hired over 1,000 engineers to work at this centre.
Govt Extends Export Benefits on Onion
- Govt has decided to extend export duty benefits to onion to arrest steep fall in onion prices.
- The duty benefits for export of onions will be available till Dec
- Farmers in Maharashtra & M.P. are among leading onion-producing states.
- They have taken to distress sale of the bulb due to higher supply.
World Bank Sanctions Rs 980 CR to Desilt
- The World Bank has sanctioned Rs 980 crore to dredge the Brahmaputra.
- It is an initiative to develop waterways to Bangladesh and to other South East Asian countries in a bid to boost trade and industry in the Northeast.
- It will lead to a reduction in the cost of transportation of goods and will ultimately result in Assam becoming a export hub for the South East Asian countries.
Nagaland Assembly Ratifies GST Bill
- The Nagaland Legislative Assembly has ratified the Goods and Services Tax (GST) Constitution Amendment Bill.
- The bill was introduced Minister for Parliamentary Affairs Kiyanilie Peseyie.
- The ratification of the crucial GST bill has reached half way mark as eight states ratifying.
- The bill needs to be ratified by the sixteen states before it can be sent for president assent.
RBI Asks Banks to Provide Loans to Women
- RBI has asked banks to provide loans to women self-help groups in rural areas at 7 per cent per annum.
- This was as per the government’s revised guidelines for the current financial year.
- Women self-help groups (SHGs) will be eligible for interest subvention on credit up to three lakh rupees at 7 per cent per annum.
- They will be provided under the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana in 250 districts.