Here is an update containing all the important current affairs for 10th January 2017. You can download the Important Current Affairs 10th January 2017 with pdf capsule too.
Pak Test-Fires Submarine Cruise Missile
- Pakistan conducted its first successful test-fire of a Submarine-Launched Cruise Missile (SLCM).
- The missile, Babur-3, with a range of 450 kilometers was fired from an underwater, mobile platform.
- It is a sea-based variant of Ground Launched Cruise Missile (GLCM) Babur-2.
- The Babur-3 SLCM incorporates state-of-the-art technologies including underwater controlled propulsion.
Naidu Inaugurates Conf. for e-Governance
- Information and Broadcasting Minister Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the 2-day National Conference for e-Governance in Visakhapatnam.
- The theme of this year’s conference is ‘Internet of Things and e-Governance’.
- The conference is an opportunity for the public and private sectors to discuss best practices related to e-Governance.
- Three books have been released on the 1st day of the conference.
Amitabh Bachchan Honoured by US Embassy
- Amitabh Bachchan has been honoured by the US Embassy to acknowledge his immense contribution to the India-US ties on tuberculosis.
- The award was presented by US Ambassador to India Richard R Verma.
- TB is a bacterial disease which in humans is usually caused by an organism called Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- Tuberculosis affects the lungs, but can also affect other parts of the body.
Modi Inaugurates Global Trade Show 2017
- PM Modi formally inaugurated the Vibrant Gujarat Global Trade show at Gandhinagar.
- More than 1500 representatives of about 80 countries in the world have participated in the trade show.
- The trade show has different pavilions of various sectors like automotive, pharmaceutical, agro, bio technology and among others.
- This year special emphasis has been on start ups, women entrepreneurs & MSME.
ISRO, CNES Ink Pact on Satellite Launch
- Indian Space Research Organisation, ISRO, and French Space agency (CNES) has signed a partnership agreement in satellite launch technology.
- The agreement was signed between ISRO Chairman Kiran Kumar and CNES President Jean-Yves Le Gall.
- Space cooperation between France and India spans over 50 years.
- ISRO is the second partner of CNES, in terms of volume, after NASA.
Maha Govt Launches Largest WiFi Service
- Maharashtra government has launched India’s largest public WiFi service called ‘MumbaiWifi’.
- Under the current phase, hotspots were installed at 500 locations.
- These include tourist destinations like Gateway of India, Churchgate, CST along with slum clusters and public places.
- In Phase II, expected to launch by May 1, the hotspots will be installed at the remaining 700 locations.
BMC Launches Toilet Locator Mobile App
- Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has a mobile application to locate toilets in Mumbai.
- “Mumbai Toilet Locator” was launched by municipal commissioner Ajoy Mehta.
- The civic body has connected over 800 pay-and-use toilets across the city on “Mumbai Toilet Locator” through GPS.
- The easy-to-use application is meant for android phones.
Streetlight Replacement Project Launched
- Union Minister Piyush Goyal launched the worlds largest LED street light replacement project completed by SDMC in south Delhi.
- In this two lakh conventional street lights have been replaced with energy efficient LEDs.
- The minister also launched the 2nd phase of the project.
- The initiative under the Street Lighting National Programme being implemented by the Energy Efficiency Services Ltd.
Tamil Nadu Joins UDAY Scheme
- Tamil Nadu has become the 21st state to join UDAY (Ujjwal Discom Assurance Yojana).
- The southern state signed the memorandum of understanding to join the revival package for discoms.
- The UDAY is a scheme to help revive debt stressed electricity distribution companies.
- With Tamil Nadu joining UDAY, over 90 percent of the total debts of discom companies will be covered under the scheme.
Mohd Faiz Subri Wins FIFA Puskas Award
- Malaysia’s Mohd Faiz Subri has won the Puskas Award of 2016 at the FIFA Best Football ceremony.
- He scored an outstanding, swerving free-kick for Penang against Pahang in the Malaysia Super League
- He was handed the FIFA award by Brazilian legend Ronaldo.
- He triumphed with 59.5% votes, ahead of Marlone with 22.86%.
- The award was named in honour of Real Madrid legend Ferenc Puskas.
Lloyd Wins The Best FIFA Women’s Player
- Carli Lloyd from USA has been named FIFA’s top female player of 2016 in world football for the second year in a row.
- Lloyd beat Brazil’s Marta and Germany’s Melanie Behringer for the honor.
- In 2016, Lloyd scored 17 goals and had 11 assists in 21 games.
- She was 2015 FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year, when she led the Americans to the Women’s World Cup trophy.
Gionee Signs Kohli as Brand Ambassador
- Mobile handset brand Gionee has roped in Indian test captain Virat Kohli as the brand ambassador.
- The announcement of Kohli’s appointment was made alongside the announcement of Gionee clocking 1.2 crore customers in India.
- Gionee has two manufacturing units in India.
- It is continuously beefing up its brand and marketing initiatives with the aim to grow as much as 2.5 times in 2017.
Ronaldo Wins FIFA’s Player of the Year
- Cristiano Ronaldo won FIFA’s player of the year award for the fourth time, beating his old rival Lionel Messi.
- Ronaldo was rewarded for his performance in 2016 when he won the Champions League with his club Real Madrid and then Euro 2016 with Portugal.
- Messi was second and Frenchman Antoine Griezmann third.
- Italian Claudio Ranieri won the coach of the year award.
BIS Revises Standard on Gold Hallmarking
- Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) has revised Indian Standard on gold hallmarking.
- The hallmarked gold jewellery will now be available in three grades of 14, 18 & 22 carat.
- The caratage will also be marked on jewellery in addition to fineness.
- Hallmark on gold jewellery will now have four marks, like the BIS Mark, the purity in carat, fineness & jeweller’s identification mark,
Air India’s Rated Third Worst Airline
- Air India, has been listed as the third worst performing airline in the world in a survey by flight data firm FlightStats.
- Apart from Air India, the other worst carriers list included Air China, Hong Kong Airlines, Philippine Airlines, Qantas, Delta, among others.
- The survey highlighted issues over service quality & flight delays.
- Air India has been struggling to get back to profitability.
No MDR Charges For Small Merchants
- Country’s largest lender SBI has waived Merchant Discount Rate (MDR) on debit card transactions for all small merchants with annual turnover of up to Rs 20 lakh for one year.
- The discount rate is a commission paid by a merchant to a bank on every transaction done on the point-of-sale machine set up by the bank.
- The move is targeted primarily towards a segment of population & small merchants.
SBI Pension Funds Gets New MD & CEO
- SBI Pension Funds, a subsidiary of State Bank of India (SBI), has appointed Kumar Sharadindu as its managing director (MD) & chief executive officer (CEO).
- Sharadindu was a general manager at SBI Corporate Centre, Mumbai.
- SBI Pension Funds had an AUM Rs 46,019 crore as of March 2016.
- It is the seventh largest pension fund manager in terms of market share.
RBI Halts Destruction of Withdrawn Notes
- The RBI has halted the destruction of withdrawn ₹500 & ₹1,000 currency notes.
- The apex bank has also commenced a comprehensive audit of the 4,075 currency chests to verify the number/nature of the currency notes that have been returned.
- The return of more notes than expected could be one of the reasons.
- All withdrawn notes will be processed through the currency verification system.
PM Inaugurates India Int’l Exchange
- PM Modi has formally inaugurated the India International exchange (IIE) at GIFT city near Gandhinagar in Gujarat.
- GIFT city & IIE- the International Center of BSE were the dream projects of Modi.
- The Exchange’ will trade in all the products like currency, equities, commodities and derivatives.
- Currently, Indian companies have to contact foreign exchanges to raise funds in foreign currency.
Krishnamurthy to be Flipkart’s New CEO
- Kalyan Krishnamurthy has been named the new chief executive officer of Flipkart.
- Krishnamurthy — a former executive in the New-York based investment firm will be responsible for Flipkart’s profit and losses.
- Flipkart’s other co- founder Sachin Bansal will remain as the executive chairman.
- Tiger Global owns about 35% stake in Flipkart, which was last valued at $15 billion.