Here is an update containing all the important current affairs for 29th December 2016. You can download the Important Current Affairs 29th December 2016 with pdf capsule too.
Scarlett Johansson Ist Top Grossing Actor
- Scarlett Johansson has been named as the top grossing actor of 2016 by Forbes magazine.
- The US actor topped the list after her films brought in $1.2 billion globally over the past 12 months.
- Johansson’s Marvel co-stars Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr tied for second place with $1.15bn each.
- Forbes calculated the annual ranking using the global ticket sales of top actors’ films.
US Actress Debbie Reynolds Dies
- US actress Debbie Reynolds has passed away, a day after the death of her daughter Carrie Fisher.
- The Hollywood legend is best known for her role in the 1952 musical “Singin’ in the Rain”.
- She was nominated for a best actress Oscar for her role in “The Unsinkable Molly Brown”, a 1964 musical.
- She received an honorary Oscar in 2015 & the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award.
Pak PM Inaugurates Chashma Nuclear Project
- Pakistan PM Nawaz Sharif inaugurated the Chashma Nuclear Project – III, having a capacity of generating 340 megawatts of electricity.
- The 340MW power plant is a joint collaboration of Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission & China National Nuclear Corporation.
- This is the third project after successful operation of Chashma-I & Chashma-II projects.
- Chashma – IV Project is to be completed in 2017
China Begins Transport Water from Tibet
- China started transporting bottled water to other parts of the country by charter trains from the Himalayan rivers in Tibet.
- A train full of Tibetan bottled water left Lhasa, the provincial capital of Tibet Autonomous Region.
- It is the first of a regular set of cargo trains to bring bottled drinking water from Tibet.
- Tibet, often called Asia’s Water Tower, is rich in water resources.
Colombia Approves Peace Deal Amnesty
- The Colombian Congress has approved a law offering amnesty to some of those accused of minor crimes in the country’s decades-long civil conflict.
- President Juan Manuel Santos hailed it as a the first step towards the consolidation of peace with the Farc guerrilla group.
- The amnesty is part of a revised deal agreed after the original pact with the Farc was rejected in a popular vote.
Khattar Inaugurates DIATC at Gurugram
- Haryana CM Manohar Lal inaugurated country’s first Digital Investigation,Training & Analysis Centre (DIATC) at Gurugram.
- It would enhance technological capabilities of the police in solving cybercrime cases.
- It is first of its kind, has been set up in collaboration with National Technical Research Organisation.
- The Centre has Cyber Forensic Laboratory & has Social Media Monitoring Lab.
CM Khandu Inaugurates 6th ALG in Tuting
- The Indian Air Force Advanced Landing Ground, ALG at Tuting in Arunachal Pradesh has become functional.
- The ALG was inaugurated by State Chief Minister Pema Khandu.
- The strategic location of Tuting ALG will make it a launching pad for the IAF operations as well as a facilitator to the Administration.
- With ALGs being operationalised in Tuting, Mechuka, Aalo, Pasighat, Ziro & Vijoynagar.
Panel Reconstituted for AIIMS Top Job
- The search-cum-selection committee, tasked with shortlisting names for the AIIMS director’s post, has been reconstituted following orders from the PM’s Office.
- It would be headed by the Health Secretary instead of the Union Health Minister.
- The new five-member panel will be led by Health Secretary C K Mishra as the chairman
- The PMO last week had ordered reconstitution of the search panel.
Cabinet Approves ISA Framework Agreement
- Cabinet has given ex-post facto approval to Ministry of New and Renewable Energy’s proposal for ratification of International Solar Alliance, ISA’s Framework Agreement by India.
- ISA was launched jointly by PM Modi & French President Francois Hollande in November last year.
- ISA will strive to bring together more than 121 nations for coordinated research,low cost financing & rapid deployment..
Anil Baijal to be Next Delhi L-G
- The President has formally appointed former Union home secretary Anil Baijal as the Lt Governor of Delhi.
- The post had fallen vacant after the sudden resignation of Najeeb Jung.
- Baijal had served as Union home secretary under the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government besides holding key positions in other ministries.
- He is a former vice chairman of Delhi Development Authority.
Ana Ivanovic Retires from Tennis
- Former world number one &d 2008 French Open champion Ana Ivanovic from Serbia has retired from tennis.
- She spent 12 weeks as world number one in 2008 and won 15 career singles titles.
- She has been out with injury since August and dropped to 63 in the world rankings
- She reached the French Open semi-final in 2015 & was runner-up at Wimbledon in 2007 & at the 2008 Australian Open.
Former TT Int. Pappu Haldankar Dies
- Former international table tennis player and a former India number one, Prafulla ‘Pappu’ Haldankar passed away.
- He started playing table tennis for Deccan Gymkhana, Pune and represented India for 5 years from 1961 to 1965.
- He was ranked first in India in 1961-62 season.
- He also represented the country in two Asian Championships and two World Championships.
Sir Bradley Wiggins Retires from Cycling
- Five-time Olympic champion Sir Bradley Wiggins has announced his retirement from cycling.
- Wiggins became Britain’s most decorated Olympian in August when he won the team pursuit gold on the track in Rio, his fifth gold and eighth Olympic medal.
- He secured eight world titles on the road and track.
- He set the world record for the furthest distance ridden in one hour.
RBI Allows Banks to Include Unlisted Cos
- The RBI has allowed banks to facilitate issuance of prepaid payments instruments (PPIs) to unlisted corporates, public entities.
- Banks may include other entities/employers such as unlisted corporates, public organisations like municipal corporations for onward issuance to their staff or workers.
- Pre-paid payment instruments helps purchase of goods and services against the value stored in it.
Govt Grants Rs 200 crore for Dyeing Units
- The Centre has sanctioned ₹200 crores for Tirupur’s dyeing industry that was on the verge of closure due to severe financial crisis.
- Tirupur is a hub of the textile processing and knitting industry providing employment to over five lakh persons
- It contributes 22% of India’s total garment exports.
- The 200 crore assistance is in the form of an interest free loan to be converted into grant.
Cabinet Okays Sale of First Pharma Firm
- The Union Cabinet has approved the sale of India’s first pharmaceutical company Bengal Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals as well as Hindustan Antibiotics .
- This is the second strategic sale approval after 12 years.
- The first one was in Sept when the Cabinet had cleared the strategic sale of Bharat Pumps & Compressors.
- BCPL was set up in 1892 by eminent scientist Prafulla Chandra Ray.
Twitter Partners with ICICI Bank
- Twitter & ICICI Bank announced a partnership that integrates a slew of digital customer care support features for the bank.
- It will benefit customers with direct online response to their queries and feedback in real-time.
- Customers can now use these functions to resolve their banking related queries
- ICICI Bank is the first bank in India to implement the new features to its Twitter account.
SIB Launches Mobile Banking App
- South Indian Bank has introduced a NRI-focused mobile banking application called SIB Mirror+ .
- SIB Mirror+ equips the customers to perform almost all banking transactions from their smart phones.
- The app comes with self-registration facility for ease of activation.
- The innovative feature Social Money allows customers to transfer money from & to their friends through social media channels.
NSE Files IPO Papers with Sebi
- The National Stock Exchange (NSE) filed draft papers with market regulator SEBI for its much-awaited IPO.
- The IPO is expected to be one of the biggest in recent times, with an estimated size of over Rs, 10,000 crore.
- The offer may give the exchange a valuation of Rs. 50,000-55,000 crore.
- NSEs IPO would be the biggest initial public offering after Coal India.
Cabinet Approves Note Ban Ordinance
- The Cabinet approved promulgation of an Ordinance to make possession of a large number of scrapped banknotes of old 1,000 & 500 rupee a penal offence after March 31st.
- The possession will attract a monetary fine of Rs 10,000 or five times the cash held.
- A maximum of 10 banned notes may be allowed to be held by any person.
- The Ordinance will come into force once it gets Presidential assent.